March 4, 2011

Review: Rihanna - "S&M"


Rihanna's latest video off her album "Loud" directed by Melina Matsoukas is supposedy meant to be provocative and daring. It's not.

I despise Perez Hilton's work. I've never met him, nor have I read his fucking blog. But for some reason I know the guy when I see his face. And he's in this video. You may have missed him, but that awful stomacheache you now feel after watching it, that might just be him!

I don't understand what Rihanna and Melina Matsoukas see in the idea of gaging corpulent people. Or putting Perez Hilton in their video. It's neither sexy, fun, nor has it any visual quality or sociological value to it. It's just the most ovbious analogy to the lyrics you can think of.


I liked Rihannas "Rude Boy" video, also directed by Melina Matsoukas. A colorful, fun piece and it was kinda sexy, in a somewhat innocent way. "S&M" is a hot pop song and a little less provocation and a bit more of Rihannas sensual charisma would have done a much better job. Besides some solid camerawork and a nicely paced editing, there's really not much in it for me. The sets are dull, the S&M references so obvious. I ain't into S&M, but you can literally see how those actors, or shall we say extras, aren't there. They're just not there! No sweat, no dirt. Just superficial pastic gummybear junk.


Rihanna sings: "There is sex in the air..." and we have to watch a guy on a dog leash piss on a fire hydrant? What the hell is wrong with you?

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment